26 June 2008

Obama Takes The Low Road On Capital Punishment

One of the Guys On Obama's Shortlist For Attorney General

Obama has voiced his disappointment with the Supreme Court's decision against the death penalty for treejumpers (aka child rapists) thereby confirming his commitment to barbaric practices for the state to use. The Boston Globe Reports (h/t Hot Air):

Asked about today's US Supreme Court ruling that sentencing someone to death for raping a child is unconstitutional, Obama said he disagreed with such a broad ban. "I have said repeatedly that I think that the death penalty should be applied in very narrow circumstances for the most egregious of crimes. I think that the rape of a small child, 6 or 8 years old, is a heinous crime," he said, adding that if a state determines the death penalty should apply in such cases, they should be allowed to impose it.

I wouldn't disagree with child rape being "egregious", but my opposition to the death penalty is ideological and can best be summarized by Nick Giellespie of Reason when he says "I'm against the death penalty because I don't think the state should have the power to execute. I think the state's role is to protect its population and it should do that using as little violence as possible." That and all the most heinous, tyrannical regimes utilized the death penalty willy-nilly (Stalin, Mao, Hitler, you get the idea).

Expect a bunch of the netroots to use their power to cater to their messiah on this issue, which shows how much of a joke the American left is when it comes to real progressive and human rights issues. To think I used to have hope that the mainstream left would get the death penalty re-abolished, don't I feel like an idiot. I guess they just want to hear about the important issues like what's on Obama's iPod (hint: if it's not the Master of Puppets album, I ain't impressed).

0 comments: