22 February 2009

Rachel Getting Married: Worst...Movie...Ever

Watch These Self-Righteous Pukes is Like Shaving with a Cheese Grater

Rachel Getting Married is up for an Oscar and scored an 87% on the beloved tomato meter, so I was stoked that they were showing it on the long plane ride back to the states. But by the end of the flick, I was hoping that a madmen would show up and murder all these people in a fit of rage and/or our plane would take a sudden nosedive into the Alaskan tundra to make the pain stop. The movie focuses on Anne Hathaway's character who recently gets out of rehab and is jealous that her sister is lapping up all the attention for her wedding. The entire ensemble can be described as self-absorbed imbeciles completely oblivious to the consideration of others as they are wrapped up in their own melodrama. A fitting tribute to our era of Obamination where "Woe is I" and everyone is a victim deserving a pat on the back from a legion of sympathizers. How come they don't make movies about an underdog redeeming themselves through personal sacrifice and hardowrk (e.g. The Karate Kid)? A sign of the times indeed.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the heads-up on this film...I'll watch Twilight Zone reruns instead!

~AM

Anonymous said...

Never even heard of it!

(Oh, and by the way -- THANK GOD YOU'RE BACK!!!)

Oh, I mean, I was told you had returned. :) :)

Kath

Wek said...

Poor Kath had to slum over at my haunt when Nix was gone.

I feel like I was on the bad side of a rebound relationship.

Nixon said...

Rod Serling is the man. I love how he's always smoking on TV, but back in those days you couldn't even depict a husband and wife sleeping in the same bed. Times have changed.

Anonymous said...

Wek,
I think we were BOTH ignored!! Can you believe it? I may have to slum back over.

Kath

J. said...

My wife loved "Rachel Getting Married" and I was bored out of my MIND. Agere with your review completely. Fortunately, so did the Oscar community, which shut her film out. So did the Independent Film Awards.

Bag Blog said...

I was feeling sorry for Wek, 'cause I was hounding him while you were gone. Glad you are back.

Anonymous said...

I'm not ashamed to admit I would rather sit home all day and watch the Twilight Zone marathon on New Year's day than do anything else.

Steph said...

i really liked it but maybe that's because the guy from "tv on the radio was the fiancee". does that make me a self absorbed imbecile?. you'll get your karate kid soon enough. oh and, shaving with a cheese grater is totally underrated

cheers