07 December 2007

Why this Milblog

For some reason the lyrics from Motorhead "Voices in the Sky" came to mind this morning.

"The ones who dedicate the flags to make you brave,
They also consecrate the headstone on your grave,
Ritual remembrance when no one knows your name,
Don't help a single widow learn to fight the pain,

Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
T.V. preachers sell salvation for a buck,
You don't need no golden cross, to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light."


This led me to think about why the war in Iraq is such a major issue. Allow me to better announce why I feel it's necessary to spend time doing this. I think we have become as a nation totally polarized by this war in Iraq, and I'm attempting to bring about a better characterization so that we can understand where we go from here. I also think that as a society we need to better understand the concept of war and the consequences it has. We, as Americans, have chosen to divorce ourselves from the reality of war by changing the channel to TV shows/product focused on petty consumption and crass materialism. That's why I link to other blogs that discuss current events from a wide political spectrum. Only then can we understand how to integrate the lessons from these events into our paradigm of society. Thanks!

0 comments: