15 September 2008

Red Meat for Palin Lovers


The fact that the GOP picked a woman for Veep has opened up a cultural rift about feminism in America not seen since Murphy Brown got knocked up and Dan Quayle predicted the apocalypse as a result of a child out of wedlock on TV. It's pretty ridiculous that some on the modern left have been so quick to ridicule Palin (was all that talk about women's rights in the past just for opportunistic purposes?). Anyways, a Hollywood screenwriter, who cashed in on writing the screenplay for "North Country", a film about women getting treated like ass at blue-collar jobs in flyover country, had this to say (h/t Dirty Harry):

For one, if you are a McCain/Palin/Bush voter, you and I do not have a difference of opinion. We have a difference in brain power. Two, she really is as ignorant as I feared. And, three, she really is kinda hot. Basically, I want to have sex with her on my Barack Obama sheets while my wife reads aloud from the Constitution. (My wife is cool with this if I promise to "first wipe off Palin's tranny makeup." I married well.)
He then to tried to deflect charges of sexism the following day by saying this:
Imagine for a moment that McCain had picked the latest winner of The Bachelor as his running mate. Would we be sexist if we commented on her looks? Of course not. Sorry if you don't like it, but in my mind, there's not much that separates Sarah Palin from the attractive yet vapid winner of a reality show. As far as I'm concerned, she IS the attractive yet vapid winner of a reality show.
The Huffington Post is easy pickins for railing against the left in this country, and this type of commentary shows the level to which people will stoop in this highly contested election. Along with the Palin as a Hamas suicide bomber meme, this doesn't say very much for the institution of democracy and voter involvement. May the person with the least amount of gaffes and best hair win!

0 comments: