Finally. Instead of dicking around with the zombie banks that were shrewd enough to pump money into campaign coffers, the President has announced a revised strategy for fighting the war in Afghanistan. NYT has some of the highlights:
- 17,000 additional combat troops
- 4,000 troops for security transition (training/advisor forces)
- Conditions-based economic and military aid to Pakistan
- Request for $50B in budget plan
- Development of "benchmarks" for governments in Kabul and Islamabad
While I'm deeply immersed in the culture of the bitters, laughing at Obama teleprompter jokes and such, I certainly hope that this ambitious plan is successful. It's our republic, and allowing Afghanistan/Pakistan to fall under control of extremism would prove catastrophic to global security.