10 March 2009

Way Up On Boot Hill

Since I'm a total sucker for all things Tourist Trap, I swung by Tombstone, AZ today (a quick detour off I-10!). The Man in Black made the Boot Hill Graveyard famous with this ballad, and he wasn't lying. There really was a Lester Moore shot by 4 slugs from a .44.
I also noticed this gravestone:

Whoa! "Chinaman" is not the preferred nomenclature, but I suppose not being bigoted was a low priority for a mining/outlaw/prostitution town in the late 19th century. Interesting history nonetheless.

4 comments:

Sisu said...

Nice Lebowski reference.

Bag Blog said...

Be sure and stop in NM to see Billy the Kid's grave. Don't you just love the West?

Caroline said...

My college roommate and I took a road trip just to visit Tombstone. Did you stop at the Bird Cage theater?

Nixon said...

Bag Blog,

Yeah, I like all parts of America for different reasons. So far in my travels I've been to CA, AZ, NM, and West Texas, and it's been a blast. Although I wish I hadn't gotten Strep Throat 3 days ago forcing me to check into an El Paso Army Hospital. That part wasn't cool.