27 December 2007

Benazir Bhutto Martyred

This is not a good day, and this is a huge defeat in a chapter of the Long War. Benazir Bhutto, former PM of Pakistan, was assassinated by gunshots followed by a suicide bombing at a campaign rally (story is here). Her return to Pakistan was controversial and subjected to a violent suicide attack in Karachi that left 108 killed. Pakistan has become increasingly troubled as the Taliban and other extremists gather in the tribal region of Waziristan and Newsweek called it the most dangerous country on earth in October. With nukes, an unstable government, and a huge pissed-off contingent of anti-Western youth, it's starting to make Iraq look like Plano, TX. My heartfelt sympathies goes out to the good people of Pakistan with the hopes that swift justice will be brought to those responsible for the atrocities.


R.I.P. (1953-2007)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you just answered a question I asked at V.V. I'm wondering how this is going to affect the Afghan campaign in particular.

I don't think it takes a Westpointer to know this ain't good. It makes me all the more pissed off about our going into Iraq while leaving Afghanistan hanging. We should have gutted al-Qaeda there, just like we were told we were going to do.

Any incites on how this may bode for the future in both theatres, LT Nixon? I'm worrying about my nephew.

Nixon said...

Gage,

Yeah I'm no Westpointer, but i know this ain't good. The suicide bomb with pellets, BBs, or bearings is a pretty standard Qaeda tactic. Long War Journal has the scoop here.

This does not bode well for the globabl war on terrorism since Bhutto was a moderate.

Anonymous said...

That's a good site. Thanks.