23 February 2008

God Awful Article about the "Angry White Man"

As a member of the surly male coalition of bloggers, I find that this article is incredibly silly and sets our movement back ions: "In election 2008, don’t forget Angry White Man". I guess I'm white, but I don't think about it much since I don't believe in identity politics. None of the presidential candidates in the primaries exploit the race card either, so I'm not sure why this type of criticism was dredged up into the public domain. Gary Hubbell sounds off on why white males shouldn't vote Democrat (by way of Wonkette):

The victimhood syndrome buzzwords — “disenfranchised,” “marginalized” and “voiceless” — don’t resonate with him. “Press ‘one’ for English” is a curse-word to him. He’s used to picking up the tab, whether it’s the company Christmas party, three sets of braces, three college educations or a beautiful wedding.


I'm guessing Gary has some kind of chip on his shoulder about having three kids and they all needed braces, and that all his tax dollars went to those damn illegals. This could quite possibly make him the most persecuted man on planet Earth. I have a lot of reason to not be running to the Democrats with open arms, but Gary's not highlighting any of them. He then regales us with what a true "man" is:

He’s a man’s man, the kind of guy who likes to play poker, watch football, hunt white-tailed deer, call turkeys, play golf, spend a few bucks at a strip club once in a blue moon, change his own oil and build things. He coaches baseball, soccer and football teams and doesn’t ask for a penny.

This 1950s tough guy-speak of a man's man is falling on deaf ears as he tries to lump all caucasian males into Ward Cleaver at the Gentleman's Club (not that I'm above that sort of thing). This is a foolish attempt at playing on people's need to feel like an alpha-male in order to vote Republican. Politics is never that simplistic, and we must take the painful route of thoroughly examining all issues in this modern, complex world instead of meaninglessly voting for the candidate with the best hair or who "seems like a guy I would go fishin' with". Gary pretty much puts the nail in his own coffin with this line:

He’s not a racist, but he is annoyed and disappointed when people of certain backgrounds exhibit behavior that typifies the worst stereotypes of their race. He’s willing to give everybody a fair chance if they work hard, play by the rules and learn English.

There's certainly a lot of other events going on in the world to be angry at than the Denny's restroom sign being in Spanish and English. I admit to harboring a lot of bitterness and anger towards our current society of gross consumerism and apathy, but it's certainly not at the same level of rubeness as Mr. Hubbell. What gets my goat is that this article is in an Aspen paper. That's right, Aspen, home of ski bunnies, unaffordable housing, and apparently lots of "Angry White Men" who lounge in their sprawling estates and fuck their gorgeous wives in the hot tub overlooking the mountains. I don't believe in the politics of victimhood, and somehow, I'm not seeing this dude's plight.

An Angry White Man of Aspen (pictured grinning on the right with LL Bean scarf)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you!!! I knew it couldn't last that I would agree with you on something!!!
Why is this man foolish to have his opinions? I didn't read anything bad into what he said!!
Instead of one of your oh, so in-depth, insightful and thoughtful (yes, I'm being sarcastic) and complaining all the time "rants", he "ranted" in his own way.
YOU called HIM silly???!!!
K.

Anonymous said...

You are such a snob. Shame on you. (I'm laughing, but -- snob.)
K.

Nixon said...

Kath,

His opinions involve spinning a web of victimhood, which is foolish considering it's an Aspen newspaper. My rants are more cynical and I have certainly never put myself on the proverbial cross. Haha, I'm definitely no snob, I consider myself more creepy than snobby.